Sunday, July 25, 2010

Engineering a "Trainwreck" (with a little help from my friends)

When the recording of "It only hurts when we breathe" was nearly complete, I sent a few of the mixes to some friends and fellow musicians for feedback. "Trainwreck", a straightforward rock song, had existed for a while in different forms but this was the first time it was recorded, other than on a 1983-era boom box in a rehearsal space. I sent it off to my friend Jason, whose taste in music has always been ahead of the curve.

His comment was..."cool tune - can you make it more distorted?"
"In what way?" I asked.
"Like this..." and he sent me a link to a song: "Ibitsu" by Boris
So I listened to the song.
"Oh.... you mean make is sound like it was recorded live on a 1983-era boom box?"
"Exactly" Jason replied.

Here's the result.... ("boom box" on the choruses)

(Just in case the widget didn't load, check it out here)

No comments:

Post a Comment